Everyone has experienced obstruction in the nasal passage or throat that has resulted in difficulty in breathing and persistent coughing. This happens due to the increased phlegm in the lungs.
Phlegm is a thick substance secreted by the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract as a way of fighting infections like severe colds, but its buildup in the chest and throat can cause various other issues.
Obstructions in the nasal passage cause persistent coughs and breathing difficulties, due to the accumulated phlegm in the lungs.
It is caused by viral or bacterial infections, flu, or colds, and the body uses coughing in an attempt to get rid of it.
The excessive amounts of phlegm in the lungs might cause persistent coughs, fever, weakness, runny nose, and difficulty breathing, and if not expelled, it can cause even bigger issues by obstructing the bronchial tubes.
Fortunately, the following natural remedies and methods are effective in reducing the amount of phlegm and treat respiratory infections:
It is a potent natural decongestant and antihistamine with strong expectorant and antibacterial qualities, which relieve throat and chest congestion. You should eat 3-4 ginger slices daily, or drink 2-3 cups of the following ginger tea daily:
- 6-7 slices of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns
- 2 cups of water
In a pan, cook the water, and when it starts to boil, add the ginger and peppercorns. Cover and after a minute, lower the heat. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, remove from heat, strain, and add the honey after it cools a bit.
Honey & Lemon
Lemons are loaded with vitamin C which strengthens the immune system and treats congestion, and honey has powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties. Therefore, this combination soothes the irritated respiratory tract and brings relief.
- 1 tablespoon of organic honey
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients, and drink it three times daily.
The active compound of turmeric, curcumin, has antibacterial properties that treat respiratory infections:
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- ½ a teaspoon of salt
- A glass of warm water
- In a glass of warm water, add the turmeric, stir, and add the salt.
- Use this solution to gargle for a few minutes 3-4 times daily to soothe the throat, kill bacteria, treat respiratory infections, and reduce the amount of phlegm in the chest.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is one of the most powerful natural antibacterial agents, as it regulates the Ph balance and prevents the excessive production of phlegm. Just take a tablespoon of it in a glass of water daily, or gargle the mixture to calm the throat.
This method loosens the mucus in the chest and treats chest congestion. You can either breathe in the vapors and steam or use herb-infused water:
- ½ a teaspoon of thyme
- ½ a teaspoon of dry rosemary
- 4-5 cups of boiling water
- Add the herbs in the boiling water, lean over the bowl, cover the head with a towel, and inhale the steam.
- Repeat several times daily.
- Use a humidifier at home to control the mucus production in the body
- Do not consume cold drinks or foods to prevent excess phlegm in the lungs
- Avoid exposure to chemicals, household cleaners, or paint fumes that irritate the lungs, nose, or throat
- Quit smoking, as it irritates the respiratory tract and causes chest congestion
- Eat spicy foods like peppers and garlic to thin the mucus out and treat the congestion
- Do not swallow the phlegm, but gargle some warm water and salt and spit it out.